Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship 2022: Microsoft is happy to announce its Research PhD Fellowships for PhD students undertaking research aligned with the Microsoft Research Areas of Focus at universities worldwide.
The Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship is a worldwide initiative to support the next generation of outstanding computing researchers. Over 700 fellows have been funded by the Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship program, many of whom have worked for Microsoft.
Fellowship Sponsor(s): Microsoft
Host Institution(s): Microsoft
Number of Awards: Several
Study Level: PhD
Duration: Not specified
Nationality: Asia-Pacific, Canada & United States, Latin America, Europe, Middle East & Africa
Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship 2022 | ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
To be eligible for the Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship 2022, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Applicants must be enrolled at a university in the eligible regions.
- Proposed research must be closely related to one of the themes:
- AI/ML/NLP/data science: Data is often scarce and biased in many practically useful applications. Understanding how we work under these settings and deliver useful results greatly impacts many practical problems and gives us deep insights into what it means to learn with data. From practical applications such as NLP to understanding the fairness and generality of results and deepening our understanding of what is feasible with the available data for a particular problem. We’re interested in how we work better with the limitations of data.
- Health: Advances in machine learning and AI allow us to address the disparities in the access to and delivery of quality healthcare for all people. We’re interested in understanding and exploring spaces where technology can assist in filling the gap, from assisting healthcare practitioners to perform their roles more effectively to bridging the last mile to patients through scaling the delivery and reach of quality healthcare using technology.
- Sustainability: Microsoft’s commitment to sustainability will be achieved by leveraging cloud and artificial intelligence (AI) tools to transform the way we monitor, model and ultimately help solve global environmental challenges. If you are a student enrolled in an African University undertaking a PhD program in artificial intelligence, machine learning, statistics or a related field with a focus on solving problems related to sustainability, we would be delighted to receive your application.
- Human-computer interaction: We seek fellows in Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) who will explore Usability and Design questions in Work, Health, Sustainability & Society. Typically, HCI interns lead and conduct research studies (online or on the ground), usability studies, literature reviews, and design interventions.
- Must be entering their third year or beyond of their PhD program sometime between August 2022 – July 2023.
- Students must continue enrolled at the university at the beginning of the academic year 2023 or forfeit the award.
- Students submitting a proposal should be able to communicate their research (both in writing and verbally) in English.
Provisions of the Award
- USD 15,000 is provided to help complete research as part of their doctoral thesis work for the academic year 2022–23.
- Eligible recipients will be offered a 12-week paid internship with a Microsoft Research Institute.
- Opportunities will be provided to build relationships with research teams at Microsoft and receive mentorship.
How-to-Apply: Interested applicants for the Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship 2022 are to submit proposals and letters of recommendation for the fellowship before the application deadline. The information below will be required to submit your proposal:
- Your name, email, country, university, and department
- Primary area of research
- Thesis proposal or research statement title
- Month and year entered the PhD program and expected graduation date.
- URL to your professional website (optional but strongly recommended; you are encouraged to make certain it is up-to-date)
- One to three academic conferences you are most likely to attend
- Self-assessment of the Statement of Good Standing.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Thesis proposal or research statement
- Summary of the Thesis proposal or research statement
Application Deadline: June 07, 2022
Visit the Official Website for Further Details