Makerere University Female Scholarship
Makerere University Female Scholarship Foundation (FSF) was born out of the Female Scholarship Initiative (FSI) established at Makerere University in 2001 with support from the Carnegie Corporation of New York. The goal of FSI was to support girls from disadvantaged socio-economic backgrounds to access university education, thus contributing to the increased female enrolment at the University.
Makerere University Council owns FSF. The University Council is the primary guarantor, appointing a Board of Trustees to manage the operations on its behalf. FSF is a publicly supported company operated for the benefit of disadvantaged females in Uganda/East Africa studying at Makerere University. FSF funds from various sources, namely, government agencies, development partners, the private sector, individual donors, and philanthropic and educational foundations, and provide a vehicle for other donors to support female education through endowments.
During its meeting on 16th March 2021, the University Council approved 40 scholarships for female learners effective academic year 2021/2022. The move doubles the 20 scholarships the University grants female scholars each year under the Female Scholarship Initiative.
The Female Scholarship Foundation (FSF) aims to “Increase the enrolment, retention and improve the academic performance of female undergraduate students at Makerere University; with specific emphasis on the sciences, and giving priority to applicants from disadvantaged backgrounds and underrepresented geographical areas within Uganda.”
Target scholarship beneficiaries
- Ugandan female students below the age of 25 years.
- Those who have been admitted to Makerere University on Private Sponsorship Scheme
- Those to be admitted based on ‘A’ level results only (current and previous years)
- Those not admitted on Uganda Government sponsorship to any Public University.
- Those who do not hold any other Scholarship, e.g. District Scholarship, KULIKA, FAWE etc
- Those from genuinely poor socio-economic backgrounds.
Target Disciplines considered
Priority will be given to science-based degree programmes with an added advantage for Bachelor of Science with Education. There are also limited places for programmes in humanities.
Limited to tuition and functional fees only for the stipulated period of study
- The award covers only the years specified for the program.
- Being asked to stay put due to poor academic performance automatically leads to the cancellation of the scholarship.
- Failure to complete their studies and graduate will require the student to refund all the money spent on her.
- Every beneficiary is expected to participate in the Female Scholarship Foundation (FSF) activities.
- Payments of tuition and applicable fees will be made directly to the University.
- Every beneficiary is expected to exhibit exemplary conduct both in and outside the University.
- The program will meet expenses other than those specified in the award letter.
- Upon completion of studies, beneficiaries must give back to the Makerere Female Scholarship Foundation for its sustainability.
- Scholarships and Admission Process in Finland
- Åbo Akademi Scholarships for international students 2022-2024
- How to apply for Tampere University Scholarships
The application is incomplete if: –
- The recommendation from the Head Teacher of the ‘A’ level School attended by the applicant is not submitted. This recommendation should be submitted in a sealed envelope with the Head Teacher’s signature appearing across the seal. It is the responsibility of the applicant to make sure that the Head Teacher’s recommendation is submitted.
- It is not endorsed by LC officials specified in the application form.
A completed application should include the following:
- A fully completed application form
- Letter of recommendation from the Head Teacher of the A-level School attended.
- Endorsement by the LC 1 of the District of Residence
- Photocopies of ‘O’ and ‘A’ level Academic Documents
- Three Passport size photographs with the applicant’s name written on the back in block letters. (Please do not staple the Photographs. Submit them in an envelope).
- A copy of the applicant’s Birth Certificate
- Copies of the death certificate(s) of the biological parent (s) (if applicable).
- Hand-drawn physical map of LC I /Village of residence with clear directions for getting to the home (indicate approximate distances in kilometres).
Incomplete Application Forms will be automatically disqualified.
Once awarded a scholarship, candidates should demonstrate high academic ability and discipline.
All applicants or those who will submit the applications should ensure that they receive an acknowledgement of receipt of the application form from the FSF office.
Cases of impersonation, falsification of documents or giving false/incomplete information, whenever discovered either at the time of receiving the award or afterwards, will lead to automatic cancellation of the award, refund of the money already spent on a beneficiary/prosecution in the Courts of Law of the Republic of Uganda.
Further information regarding the call for applications can be obtained from the Directorate of Gender Mainstreaming
Tel: +256 414 540 184
+256 414 597 907